To open an RDSP, you must:

  • Be a resident in Canada.
  • Have a valid temporary or permanent Social Insurance Number (SIN).
  • Qualify for the Disability Tax Credit.
  • Be under the age of 60.


Note: You will only be able to receive government contributions if you have filed income taxes for the previous two years. If the beneficiary is a child, we recommend that you start filing their income taxes when they’re 15 years old, so that the year in which they turn 18 years old you have the option to start to use their personal income to receive grants and bonds.