The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a number that you need if you want to work or receive other benefits. You need one to open an RDSP.

Every Canadian can get a SIN. If you are over the age of 12, you can apply for one yourself. Parents and legal guardians can apply on behalf of anyone under the age of majority (either 18 or 19 years old). A legal guardian or representative can apply on behalf of an adult

How do you get a Social Insurance Number?

  • Find your birth certificate, Certificate of Canadian citizenship or permanent residence card. These are called primary documents. Make sure it is the real one—no photocopies!
  • Fill out the application form—visit the Service Canada website or call Service Canada to get one
  • Take it to a Service Canada office or mail it in to:
  • Service Canada

Social Insurance Registration Office

PO Box 7000, Bathurst,

New Brunswick E2A 4T1

Phone: 1-800-622-6232

TTY: 1-800-926-9105


  • Use registered mail so you don’t lose any documents in the mail
  • Service Canada now issues SINs in paper format (confirmation of SIN letter).
  • Once you receive your SIN you are responsible for protecting it. Store any document containing your SIN and personal information in a safe place—do not keep your SIN with you.


A Note to Families & Friends:

You can assist someone to fill out their form, but if they are unable to sign it, you may need to apply on behalf of your friend or relative. If you are applying on behalf of an adult…

  • Complete the SIN application form
  • Include the original primary document of the person you are applying for (see the previous page)
  • Include your original primary document
  • Include original document or certified copy of legal guardianship or representation