Any person who has an RDSP, should have a Will. When you pass away, your Will will say what will happen to the remaining money. If you don’t have a Will, the government will pass out the money according to provincial law.

Doing a Will can be easy or fairly complicated. We recommend talking to a lawyer that understands your situation.

Note for Families and Friends:

Some adults do not have legal capacity to draft a Will, and the remaining money will automatically be passed out according to provincial law.

If you pass away, the designated guardian will become the Holder of the RDSP. However, you will need to direct the guardian to make the change with the financial institution.

Plan Institute hosts workshops on Will, Trust & Estate Planning for families and individuals with disabilities. Click here to find out more.