We at PLAN would like to wish you and your families all the best for 2009.
Looking back… 2008 was year of many accoplishments for us. We are pleased that our many years of work have paid off:
– the RDSP is now available to people with disabilities and families across Canada
– most provinces have made the RDSP an exempt asset for the purposed of determining eligibility for disability benefits
– most provinces have exempted income that people will receive from their RDSPs so that they will not be penalized when they receive payments from their plans
– the federal goverment has extended the dead line for 2008 contributions to March 2, 2009.
We’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who have assisted us in 2008. Without your support we would not have been successful.
Looking forward… our goal is to make sure that the 500,000 families who have relatives that qualify for the RDSP have good information. Families’ aspirations for a good life for their loved ones is our ultimate goal: nothing less will do.
We know that this is a bold vision but we think it is worth it. We also know that success will depend on our collaborative efforts. Here are a couple ways that you can help:
1. Spread the word about www.rdsp.com
We are on target for over 100,000 visits to this blog in 2009 – but we need to reach 500,ooo people. So we need your assistance. As you make your 2009 resolutions, we ask that one of them be to spread the word. If you have access to a website or blog, link it to www.rdsp.com. If you have family or friends who are working to secure a good life for a loved one with a disability, send them the link.
2. Make a charitable donation to PLAN
Time has run out for 2008 charitable contributions but its the perfect time to begin to plan for 2009. As a small, family-lead organization, PLAN’s effectiveness depends on our many friends and allies who support our work.
See you in 2009!